18 Year-Old Marine Dies of Necrotising Fasciitis

/, Latest News/18 Year-Old Marine Dies of Necrotising Fasciitis

A Marine stationed at Twentynine Palms died just eight hours after a flesh-eating disease diagnosis, officials said.

Pfc. William Becket Kiernan, 18, died of a bacterial skin infection known as necrotizing fasciitis on Feb. 4 2018.

No additional cases of necrotizing fasciitis have been reported at the Marine Corps base, Capt. Karen Holliday told Marine Corps Times.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention “confirms that necrotizing fasciitis is not communicable,” Holliday said. “The most common way of getting necrotizing fasciitis is when the bacteria enter the body through a break in the skin. This can include cuts, scrapes, burns, insect bites or puncture wounds.”

The Marine was training to become a radio field operator, his mother, Lynda Drennan Kiernan, told the Boston Globe.

You can read the full story here

We send our deepest condolences to William’s family.

DISCLAIMER
We at The Lee Spark NF Foundation (including our professional network); do not support any advertising found in these links. The wording used, though helpful in raising awareness of necrotising fasciitis, is used in a publication media manner and is not produced by our charity.

2018-03-07T12:56:21+00:00 March 7th, 2018|Awareness, Latest News|