Blog

/Blog/
6 02, 2018

Doctors mistake NF for a pulled muscle

2018-02-06T16:30:01+00:00 February 6th, 2018|Awareness, Latest News|

A mum was left fighting for her life after a tiny cut triggered a NF, after doctors mistook pain for a pulled muscle. Laura Hayes-Meerman lost the skin and muscle from the right side of her body after surgeons were forced to cut away the dead tissue. The 52-year-old was on holiday, skiing in Vermont [...]

6 02, 2018

Recorded sepsis cases in Wales are increasing

2018-02-06T08:59:21+00:00 February 6th, 2018|Latest News|

Recorded cases of the potentially deadly infection sepsis are on the rise in Welsh NHS hospitals, new figures have revealed. In 2016-17, hospitals recorded a combined 12,589 sepsis cases compared to 11,457 in 2014-15 – an increase of 10%. While the Welsh Conservatives describe these figures as a cause for concern, health boards say they suggest NHS staff are [...]

29 01, 2018

Dad almost loses arm to NF

2018-01-29T10:20:30+00:00 January 29th, 2018|Awareness, Latest News|

Luke Dobson, 42, was suffering from flu-like symptoms when he developed a pain in his elbow. Thinking it was just aches and pains caused by the virus he thought nothing of it, but his condition soon took a turn for the worse. Luke, from Undy in South Wales, was rushed to hospital and diagnosed with sepsis. [...]

26 01, 2018

Texas woman loses life to NF after eating raw oysters

2018-01-26T11:16:03+00:00 January 26th, 2018|Awareness, Latest News|

A Texan woman has died after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria after eating raw oysters on a trip to the the Louisiana coast. Jeanette LeBlanc died after a three-week battle with vibriosis, an illness typically caused by eating raw seafood. After shucking and eating roughly two dozen raw oysters with her wife and a friend, LeBlanc began having [...]

26 01, 2018

Another tragic death as 8 year-old boy contracts NF after bike fall

2018-01-26T11:04:16+00:00 January 26th, 2018|Awareness, Latest News|

An eight-year-old boy has died just days after contracting flesh-eating bacteria despite four major operations that involved amputating almost every limb. Liam Flanagan, a second-grader who loved cycling and animals, crashed his bike as he rode down his family's hill in Spring Creek, Oregon, on Saturday January 13.  The handlebar sliced through his jeans, and [...]

21 12, 2017

INFECT Meeting in Stockholm

2017-12-21T11:01:21+00:00 December 21st, 2017|Awareness, Event|

I was honoured to represent the Lee Spark Foundation at the 5th annual INFECT meeting in Stockholm at the beginning of December. It was fantastic to meet and work with such an excellent group of people, all working towards the same goal - "to advance our understanding of the pathophysiological mechanisms, prognosis, and diagnosis of [...]

28 11, 2017

29th Nov – 1st Dec is the 5th Annual INFECT Meeting

2017-11-28T10:36:47+00:00 November 28th, 2017|Latest News|

This week sees the 5th annual INFECT meeting, where our co-ordinator Wayne will be attending on behalf of The Lee Spark Foundation. As someone that has been through necrotising fasciitis, Wayne is aware of the need for medical research and will be able to add valuable insight to this project. What is INFECT? The overall [...]

24 11, 2017

Looking For Work After NF? Try This . .

2017-11-24T09:26:47+00:00 November 24th, 2017|Latest News|

We all know that getting back to work after a serious illness such as NF can be daunting. So many questions . . . How will I cope with full-time work and stress? Do I tell them about my illness? What if I need support? So, we've been on the look-out for good employers with [...]

10 11, 2017

NF causes new mum to become quadruple amputee

2018-01-26T10:57:13+00:00 November 10th, 2017|Awareness, Latest News|

When new mother Lindsey Hubley returned to the hospital with severe stomach pains a few days after giving birth, she was told it was just constipation and sent home. Hours later, though, the 33-year-old Canadian was rushed into emergency surgery and eventually diagnosed with necrotizing fasciitis—also known as flesh-eating bacteria. Hubley was suffering from septic [...]

Load More Posts