Awareness

/Awareness
26 03, 2018

Halifax Woman Contracts Flesh-eating Disease

2018-03-26T11:54:20+00:00 March 26th, 2018|Awareness, Latest News|

In just a few hours, a Halifax woman went from shovelling snow with her husband to fighting for her life in hospital. Colleen Hilton initially thought she had the flu. Doctors realized her rapidly deteriorating health was due to something far more serious, necrotizing fasciitis, also known as flesh-eating disease. “She went from being a [...]

15 03, 2018

Support on Scarring from Changing Faces

2018-03-15T09:21:18+00:00 March 15th, 2018|Awareness, Charity, Latest News|

We at The Lee Spark NF Foundation are passionate about supporting survivors, bereaved  and their families who have suffered from necrotising fasciitis, commonly referred to as the ‘flesh-eating disease’; through listening to you for the past 18 years we understand many survivors have terrible issues with scarring after their experience. As part of our ongoing aims we are [...]

9 03, 2018

Cracking Knuckles Causes NF in US Case

2018-03-07T13:08:07+00:00 March 9th, 2018|Awareness, Latest News|

A man in Kentucky developed a life-threatening infection from "flesh-eating bacteria" — and nearly lost his hand — after cracking his knuckles, according to news reports. The 31-year-old man, Antoine Boylston, was at work one day in April 2016 when he cracked his knuckles — a frequent habit of his, according to the Daily Mail. But [...]

7 03, 2018

18 Year-Old Marine Dies of Necrotising Fasciitis

2018-03-07T12:56:21+00:00 March 7th, 2018|Awareness, Latest News|

A Marine stationed at Twentynine Palms died just eight hours after a flesh-eating disease diagnosis, officials said. Pfc. William Becket Kiernan, 18, died of a bacterial skin infection known as necrotizing fasciitis on Feb. 4 2018. No additional cases of necrotizing fasciitis have been reported at the Marine Corps base, Capt. Karen Holliday told Marine Corps [...]

6 02, 2018

Doctors mistake NF for a pulled muscle

2018-02-06T16:30:01+00:00 February 6th, 2018|Awareness, Latest News|

A mum was left fighting for her life after a tiny cut triggered a NF, after doctors mistook pain for a pulled muscle. Laura Hayes-Meerman lost the skin and muscle from the right side of her body after surgeons were forced to cut away the dead tissue. The 52-year-old was on holiday, skiing in Vermont [...]

29 01, 2018

Dad almost loses arm to NF

2018-01-29T10:20:30+00:00 January 29th, 2018|Awareness, Latest News|

Luke Dobson, 42, was suffering from flu-like symptoms when he developed a pain in his elbow. Thinking it was just aches and pains caused by the virus he thought nothing of it, but his condition soon took a turn for the worse. Luke, from Undy in South Wales, was rushed to hospital and diagnosed with sepsis. [...]

26 01, 2018

Texas woman loses life to NF after eating raw oysters

2018-01-26T11:16:03+00:00 January 26th, 2018|Awareness, Latest News|

A Texan woman has died after contracting a flesh-eating bacteria after eating raw oysters on a trip to the the Louisiana coast. Jeanette LeBlanc died after a three-week battle with vibriosis, an illness typically caused by eating raw seafood. After shucking and eating roughly two dozen raw oysters with her wife and a friend, LeBlanc began having [...]

26 01, 2018

Another tragic death as 8 year-old boy contracts NF after bike fall

2018-01-26T11:04:16+00:00 January 26th, 2018|Awareness, Latest News|

An eight-year-old boy has died just days after contracting flesh-eating bacteria despite four major operations that involved amputating almost every limb. Liam Flanagan, a second-grader who loved cycling and animals, crashed his bike as he rode down his family's hill in Spring Creek, Oregon, on Saturday January 13.  The handlebar sliced through his jeans, and [...]

Load More Posts