Yearly Archives: 2019

/2019
19 09, 2019

Essex mum gets NF through mosquito bite

2019-09-19T09:46:08+00:00 September 19th, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

Mum’s ‘heart stopped for three minutes’ after she was bitten by a mosquito in her back garden and developed necrotizing fasciitis. A mum has revealed how her heart stopped for three minutes after being bitten by a mosquito in her back garden. Kim Robinson, 25, developed a flesh-eating bug and feared her leg would be [...]

16 09, 2019

Dad dies of ‘flesh-eating’ disease after doctors fail to diagnose

2019-09-16T09:32:31+00:00 September 16th, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

A Birmingham dad went to hospital with arm pain but died 36 hours later after medics failed to spot a ‘flesh-eating’ condition in time. Heartlands Hospital investigation found a ‘lack of recognition’ of sepsis by doctors meant an ‘opportunity was missed’ to diagnose the condition and remove the infected tissue Dennis Pearce was admitted to Birmingham’s Heartlands [...]

9 09, 2019

Teenager dies of necrotizing fasciitis after doctors send him home 3 times

2019-09-09T09:55:44+00:00 September 9th, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

Teenager, 18, who was sent home from hospital three times in just 48 hours after complaining about knee pain dies - because doctors missed he was suffering from a flesh-eating disease A teenager died of an infected toenail after being sent home from hospital three times following a series of horrific blunders. Alex Haes, 18, [...]

4 09, 2019

A huge thank you to our fundraisers!

2019-09-04T10:08:14+00:00 September 4th, 2019|Latest News|

We're taking the opportunity to say a huge thank you to all of our amazing fundraisers! You've all worked so hard in your campaigning and fundraising. Thank you everyone! We're very fortunate in that lots of people chose to raise money and awareness for us, something we never take for granted and are hugely appreciative [...]

2 09, 2019

Father of four dies after contracting flesh-eating bacteria

2019-09-02T10:09:29+00:00 September 2nd, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

A 50-year-old man who lost a quarter of his skin to flesh eating bacteria has died. David Ireland, from Orlando in Florida, died on Thursday, according to an obituary published on Newcomer Orlando. Mr Ireland was admitted to the emergency ward at a Florida hospital with “flu-like symptoms”, but his condition quickly deteriorated in August, according to [...]

30 08, 2019

Strep Gene researchers discuss results

2019-08-30T10:01:46+00:00 August 30th, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

Following up on research done over a decade ago, the Strep Gene researchers have now found that a particular difference in one of these HLA markers called HLA-DQA1 occurs twice as often in patients who have suffered life-threatening group A streptococcal infection compared to the general population. To make sure this result was not a [...]

12 08, 2019

Experts warn that necrotizing fasciitis may be spreading to seafood, beaches due to climate change

2019-08-12T17:05:26+00:00 August 12th, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

A new report from researchers at the Cooper University Hospital in New Jersey suggests that necrotizing fasciitis may no longer be as rare as previously assumed, no thanks to climate change and global warming. Necrotizing fasciitis (NF) is a rapid-spreading, life-threatening bacterial disease that destroys the fascia, the tissue under the skin surrounding muscles, fats, [...]

5 08, 2019

Another NF case in the US

2019-08-05T14:57:56+00:00 August 5th, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

Another case of flesh-eating bacteria (necrotising fasciitis) sends Tarpon Springs fisherman to the hospital. Necrotizing fasciitis is somewhat rare, but it’s called "flesh-eating" because the infection progresses so rapidly. George Billiris got it while wading in the Gulf of Mexico. It was just another day for fisherman George Billiris when he took his grandson out [...]

Load More Posts