An eight-year-old boy has died just days after contracting flesh-eating bacteria despite four major operations that involved amputating almost every limb.
Liam Flanagan, a second-grader who loved cycling and animals, crashed his bike as he rode down his family’s hill in Spring Creek, Oregon, on Saturday January 13. The handlebar sliced through his jeans, and he was whisked to hospital for stitches.
But days later at home, Liam was in excruciating pain, and discovered a ‘purplish-red and gangrenous looking’ swell on his groin. He was admitted to hospital, where he was diagnosed with necrotising fasciitis.
Despite four major operations at three different hospitals, the infection was too aggressive, and 4 days later he died.
You can read the full article here.
We send our deepest condolences to Liam’s family.
We at The Lee Spark NF Foundation (including our professional network); do not support any advertising found in these links. The wording used, though helpful in raising awareness of necrotising fasciitis, is used in a publication media manner and is not produced by our charity.