The Lee Spark NF Foundation logo

Essex mum gets NF through mosquito bite

Sep 19, 2019 | Awareness

Mum’s ‘heart stopped for three minutes’ after she was bitten by a mosquito in her back garden and developed necrotizing fasciitis.

A mum has revealed how her heart stopped for three minutes after being bitten by a mosquito in her back garden.

Kim Robinson, 25, developed a flesh-eating bug and feared her leg would be amputated after the bug bit her in Essex as she hung up the washing to dry.

She was rushed into major surgery and nearly died on the operating table when sepsis caused her heart to stop and lung to collapse.

The mum-of-four has now been left with extensive scarring, emphysema and PTSD and still needs another operation after spending five weeks in hospital.

She told the Mirror: “The scar on my ankle is so bad it just splits open sometimes.

“Some days I can’t even walk on it. I need a 12-hour operation to fix it where they take a 10x20cm piece of skin from my stomach and put it on my leg.

“But knowing that I ‘died’ in surgery, I have a fear of it.”

Kim had been in the back garden when she felt a “sharp pain” in her ankle that started itching and swelling up the next day.

At first she dismissed it but her leg kept swelling “like a tree trunk” until she couldn’t walk on it and she kept “blacking out”.

The mum was taken to hospital for surgery to remove the infected area after medics diagnosed her with flesh-eating bug necrotising fasciitis.

You can read the full story here.

We at The Lee Spark NF Foundation (including our professional network); do not support any advertising found in these links. The wording used, though helpful in raising awareness of necrotising fasciitis, is used in a publication media manner and is not produced by our charity.

Share now:

Our blog

Top 5 Myths about Necrotising Fasciitis

Necrotising fasciitis is a serious condition, normally caused by a bacterial infection, that affects the soft tissue under the skin (also know as the fascia). It can be a life-threatening condition if not treated properly and promptly. Unfortunately, many people have...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest