The Lee Spark NF Foundation logo

Mum almost killed by necrotizing fasciitis after C-section

Oct 14, 2019 | Awareness

A mum has told of her C-section horror after she was nearly killed by a flesh eating infection (necrotizing fasciitis) that smelled “like dead bodies”.

Stricken Claire Gurney, 37, says an excruciating “black mass” enveloped her stomach just two days after she gave birth to her new baby boy last month.

Mum-of-four Claire, from Kettering, Northants, told how she knew something wasn’t right almost as soon as she returned home from hospital.

She was plagued by stomach pains and a high temperature before the wound from her C-section became horribly infected.

Claire told Sun Online: “I was sent home after the C-section and after two days I was getting a lot of pain in my stomach and then noticed my stomach was getting hard and black and smelly.

“I called the local hospital and said I had a temperature and wasn’t feeling well at all.

“The next day I was rushed into surgery. I was in pain. I had this really horrible smell that smelled like dead people.”

It’s understood she contracted the deadly necrotising fasciitis bug – which eats its way through human flesh.

The stricken mum revealed: “They had to cut three to five pounds of tissue and infection away from my stomach. The operation went on for two hours.

“They wanted to put me in intensive care but I refused because my baby couldn’t have come with me. I could have died.”

Claire was allowed to go home yesterday but must return to Kettering General Hospital every day for antibiotics.

She said: “I’ve been on strong antibiotics. The infection started to screen back for a bit but I’m getting better.

“I don’t see where the infection could have came from other than the C-section.

“I went through the C-section then two days later there was this big black mass. It was rotting tissue. If I hadn’t caught it when I had, it would have kept eating away at me.

“I don’t think there is anything I did that caused it or anything I could have done that could have prevented it. It must have been from the C-section.”

You can read the full story here.

We at The Lee Spark NF Foundation (including our professional network); do not support any advertising found in these links. The wording used, though helpful in raising awareness of necrotising fasciitis, is used in a publication media manner and is not produced by our charity.

Share now:

Our blog

Top 5 Myths about Necrotising Fasciitis

Necrotising fasciitis is a serious condition, normally caused by a bacterial infection, that affects the soft tissue under the skin (also know as the fascia). It can be a life-threatening condition if not treated properly and promptly. Unfortunately, many people have...

read more

Pin It on Pinterest