Bug bite leads to NF and sepsis for mum on holiday

/, Latest News/Bug bite leads to NF and sepsis for mum on holiday

A mum-of-one has told how she almost lost her leg after being bitten by a mystery bug during a girls’ holiday to Benidorm.

Faye Wilkes, 41, from Dartford, Kent, was sunbathing by the hotel pool with her sister Carrie, 43, when she felt something bite her left foot.

She swiftly batted the pest away and sprayed herself with insect repellent to prevent further bites.

The personal assistant told Fabulous Digital: “I felt like I had been stabbed in my left leg. It instantly began burning up and I thought it was probably just a silly mosquito bite, so I went into the pool to cool it off.

“But as I went in, my leg started to burn up more and my toes began bleeding, which I thought was odd, but dismissed it until the next morning, as I didn’t want to waste anybody’s time.”

Faye and Carrie had booked the Spanish trip to cheer themselves up after losing their dad Raymond, 66, to lung cancer. But it quickly turned into the holiday from hell.

Four days into their break, Faye’s condition worsened. She said: “I woke up in the middle of the night with a shooting pain up and down my leg and when I tried to stand up to get to the bathroom, I collapsed on the floor.

“I had to call a doctor out, as there was no way I could walk to the hospital on my own and I knew I needed help right away – but he gave me some anti-inflammatory tablets and told me to get to the hospital as soon as possible.”

“I felt like I had been stabbed in my left leg. It instantly began burning up”

Faye claims doctors at the Spanish hospital refused to take her seriously. She said: “After it started scabbing and I had difficulty walking, I knew I needed to get help, but the Spanish doctors just fobbed me off as another ‘British drunk’ who had fallen over. I was horrified.

“I was in so much pain and when the doctor came back to tell me the X-ray looked like I just had a sprained ankle, I was furious. They sent me back to the hotel with a pair of crutches.”

Faye and Carrie cut short their holiday three days early to seek medical help in the UK.

Upon arrival at Gatwick airport, she was rushed to East Surrey Hospital where doctors told her it was likely to be necrotising fasciitis, which is when bacteria enters a wound, that had developed into sepsis.

“Doctors in the UK said I would have died – or would have at least needed my limb amputated if I didn’t get treatment within 24 hours”

Faye said: “I trusted my gut instinct and flew home straight away and I’m glad I did, as doctors in the UK said I would have died – or would have at least needed my limb amputated if I didn’t get treatment within 24 hours.

“I was absolutely horrified, as I didn’t think a measly bite from a bug in Benidorm would result in sepsis, let alone the loss of my leg.

You can read the full story here.

DISCLAIMER
We at The Lee Spark NF Foundation (including our professional network); do not support any advertising found in these links. The wording used, though helpful in raising awareness of necrotising fasciitis, is used in a publication media manner and is not produced by our charity.

2019-10-15T09:30:52+00:00 October 15th, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|