Latest News

/Latest News
22 08, 2019

Can you make us your Charity of the Year?

2019-08-22T08:44:59+01:00 August 22nd, 2019|Charity, Latest News|

Bit of a plea, this one. We're looking for any of our survivors, or family and friends, to see whether they could nominate us as their workplace Charity of the  Year? Previously, we've raised awareness on a large scale plus fundraising events (raffles/auctions/quiz nights) and also have a lot of fun! All through being selected [...]

12 08, 2019

Experts warn that necrotizing fasciitis may be spreading to seafood, beaches due to climate change

2019-08-12T17:05:26+01:00 August 12th, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

A new report from researchers at the Cooper University Hospital in New Jersey suggests that necrotizing fasciitis may no longer be as rare as previously assumed, no thanks to climate change and global warming. Necrotizing fasciitis (NF) is a rapid-spreading, life-threatening bacterial disease that destroys the fascia, the tissue under the skin surrounding muscles, fats, [...]

5 08, 2019

Another NF case in the US

2019-08-05T14:57:56+01:00 August 5th, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

Another case of flesh-eating bacteria (necrotising fasciitis) sends Tarpon Springs fisherman to the hospital. Necrotizing fasciitis is somewhat rare, but it’s called "flesh-eating" because the infection progresses so rapidly. George Billiris got it while wading in the Gulf of Mexico. It was just another day for fisherman George Billiris when he took his grandson out [...]

2 08, 2019

High court case as pensioner loses arm due to NF

2019-08-02T09:49:18+01:00 August 2nd, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

A pensioner who lost her arm after catching a flesh-eating bug (necrotising fasciitis) at church hall pilates class has won her claim in negligence against the NHS at the High Court. Patricia Austin, 78, contracted necrotising fasciitis after injuring her arm at a resistance band workout at a church hall in Aylesbury, on August 8, [...]

23 07, 2019

Florida NF death after family beach trip

2019-07-23T10:18:22+01:00 July 23rd, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

Dad eaten alive by deadly parasite 48 hours after family beach trip. Dave Bennett, from Memphis, started showing symptoms within 12 hours before the flesh-eating bug turned into sepsis and claimed his life A dad has been eaten alive by a deadly parasite 48 hours after a family beach trip - in the same area [...]

2 07, 2019

Strep A outbreak in Essex hospital

2019-07-02T12:58:27+01:00 July 2nd, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

Twelve people have died of a rare bacterial infection known as Strep A that has spread in Essex, the NHS has said. There have been 32 reported cases of the disease, called invasive Group A streptococcus (iGAS), according to the NHS Mid Essex Clinical Commissioning Group. It said the outbreak started in Braintree and has since spread to [...]

3 06, 2019

One in six sepsis patients die within a year after leaving hospital

2019-06-03T09:47:38+01:00 June 3rd, 2019|Awareness, Latest News|

One in six sepsis patients die within a year of leaving hospital, a study has found, prompting calls for better post-infection care. The first research to analyse long-term outcomes also found that a further six to eight per cent of sepsis patients who recover from the condition die each year over the following five years. Sepsis is [...]