Dad eaten alive by deadly parasite 48 hours after family beach trip.
Dave Bennett, from Memphis, started showing symptoms within 12 hours before the flesh-eating bug turned into sepsis and claimed his life
A dad has been eaten alive by a deadly parasite 48 hours after a family beach trip – in the same area a schoolgirl was also left fighting for her life from the infection.
Dave Bennett, from Memphis, was visiting daughter Cheryl Bennett Wiygul in Destin, Florida, when they decided to head to the beach and do various water sports as they all soaked up the sunshine.
But 12 hours after being in the water, cancer-stricken Dave woke up with a fever, chills and some cramping.
His health began to rapidly deteriorate and he was taken to hospital where they discovered a “terribly swollen black spot on his back”.
He was pronounced dead within hours and lab results later confirmed he had contacted necrotizing fasciitis – also known as flesh eating bacteria.
Grief-stricken daughter Cheryl has now recalled the harrowing 48 hours that changed her life forever and vowed: “I don’t want this to happen to anyone else.”
“This is so raw and personal to me that I did not want to post about it, she said. “But if I can help one person, then it is worth it.
“There is not enough education out there about the bacteria in the water.
“There needs to be signs posted at every beach, every city and state park, and every bayou stating that ‘due to naturally occurring bacteria in the water people with open wounds or compromised immune systems should not enter'”.
You can read the full story here.
We at The Lee Spark NF Foundation (including our professional network); do not support any advertising found in these links. The wording used, though helpful in raising awareness of necrotising fasciitis, is used in a publication media manner and is not produced by our charity.