Pensioner dies of strep A and sepsis after dog scratch

//Pensioner dies of strep A and sepsis after dog scratch

Really sad story recently in The Mirror recently, where a pensioner died after contracting strep A and later sepsis, after her husband’s guide dog scratched her.

Carol Parsons, 72, had the bacteria on her skin and Labrador cross Quinney was not the carrier, the hearing was told yesterday.

The pensioner treated the two tiny scratches with cream but became ill a few days later. She was taken to the hospital for keyhole surgery but microbiology tests found she had a streptococci group A infection on her skin.

Nottingham Post says sepsis developed and this led to multi-organ failure. Laurinda Bower, assistant coroner for Nottingham, said: “This was a scratch, not a bite wound. This was not a bug the dog was carrying.

“You have lost a super grandma and that is such a shame. It does demonstrate how precious life is.”

Read the full story here.

We at The Lee Spark NF Foundation (including our professional network); do not support any advertising found in these links. The wording used, though helpful in raising awareness of necrotising fasciitis, is used in a publication media manner and is not produced by our charity.

2021-01-11T10:01:03+00:00 July 12th, 2019|Awareness|